Complaints Policy

The Wildlife Trusts Complaints Policy

© Vicky Nall

1. Who should I contact?

The Wildlife Trusts consist of 46 separate Wildlife Trusts, each one a separate charity, supported by a central charity, the Royal Society of Wildlife Trusts. If your complaint relates to a particular Wildlife Trust or one of their nature reserves, please contact that Trust directly. You can find their contact details here.

If your complaint relates to the Royal Society of Wildlife Trusts, please read our policy below.

2. General complaints

The Wildlife Trusts want to exceed your expectation in everything we do. However, we know that there may be times when we do not meet our own high standards. When this happens, we want to hear about it, in order to deal with the situation as quickly as possible and put measures in place to stop it happening again.

We take complaints very seriously and we treat them as an opportunity to develop our approach. This is why we are always very grateful to hear from people who are willing to take the time to help us improve.

Our policy is:

  • To provide a fair complaints procedure that is clear and easy to use for anyone wishing to make a complaint.
  • To publicise the existence of our complaints procedure so that people know how to contact us to make a complaint.
  • To make sure everyone in our organisation knows what to do if a complaint is received.
  • To make sure all complaints are investigated fairly and in a timely way.
  • To make sure that complaints are, wherever possible, resolved and that relationships are repaired.
  • To learn from complaints and feedback to help us to improve what we do.



All complaint information will be handled sensitively, in line with relevant data protection requirements.


Overall responsibility for this policy and its implementation lies with Thirzah McSherry, from our team of Directors.


How to make a complaint

Complaints should where possible be in writing and sent to:

The Wildlife Trusts
The Kiln
Mather Road
NG24 1WT

Or emailed to

3. Complaints about fundraising

The Wildlife Trusts is registered with the Fundraising Regulator and is committed to the highest standards in fundraising practice. You can read our fundraising promise here.

In accordance with the Fundraising Regulator’s Complaints Policy, a complaint must be made to The Wildlife Trusts within 12 weeks of the fundraising incident or communication of which the complaint is made.

If after four weeks following the complaint, the matter has not been addressed or you do not feel that your concerns have been resolved satisfactorily by The Wildlife Trusts, you can refer your complaint to the Fundraising Regulator (England & Wales only). Concerns should be raised with the Fundraising Regulator within eight weeks following the complaint.

Fundraising Regulator 

2nd Floor, CAN Mezzanine 

49-51 East Road 

London, N1 6AH 

0300 999 3407 


Further assistance with regards to your complaint about fundraising can be sought from the following organisations:

England and Wales

Charity Commission
PO Box 1227 Liverpool
L69 3UG
0845 3000218


The Scottish Charity Regulator
2nd Floor
Quadrant House
9 Riverside Drive

Northern Ireland

Charity Commission for Northern Ireland
257 Lough Road
BT66 6NQ

Isle of Man

Attorney General’s Chambers
Head Office
Isle of Man Government
3rd Floor, St Mary’s Court
Hill Street
01624 685452


Guernsey Registry
Market Building
PO Box 451
Fountain Street
St Peter Port
01481 743800

4. Complaints about how we look after your personal data

We are committed to keeping your personal details safe. For information on how and why we use your personal data, in accordance with the General Data Protection Policy (GDPR), please see our Privacy Policy.

If you have made a complaint about how we capture, use or store your personal data, and you do not feel that your concerns have been resolved satisfactorily by The Wildlife Trusts, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office, whose remit covers the UK.

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone: 0303 123 1113