Our Bright Future
Our Bright Future is an ambitious and innovative partnership led by The Wildlife Trusts, which brings together the youth and environmental sectors. This £33 million programme funded by the National Lottery through the Big Lottery Fund is formed of 31 projects across the UK. Each project is helping young people aged 11-24 gain vital skills and experience and improve their wellbeing. At the same time, they act as catalysts for delivering change for their local environment and community; whilst contributing to a greener economy.
What's different about this programme?
Youth led: Young people selected the projects. Youth representatives sit on the Steering Group. Each project has representatives on our Youth Forum, who help to shape the direction of the programme.
The programme is greater than the sum of its parts: Knowledge sharing and learning between the 31 projects is encouraged and regular networking is a key part of the programme.
Robust evidence: An independently commissioned evaluation is taking place. The good practise and lessons learnt will form the evidence base to challenge decision makers across the UK and stimulate new thinking.
The 31 projects
Ranging in scale, from a local focus to a national level, the Our Bright Future projects are based around the following key themes:
- Environmental action
- Environmental campaigning
- Vocational training
- Sustainable enterprises
- Youth leadership and influencing opportunities
The projects are led by a variety of delivery partners from the youth and environmental sectors. Eight of them are Wildlife Trusts:
- Cornwall Wildlife Trust (Your Shore Beach Rangers)
- North Wales Wildlife Trust (Our Wild Coast)
- Shropshire Wildlife Trust (Growing Confidence)
- Ulster Wildlife (Grassroots Challenge)
- Avon Wildlife Trust and Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust (Natural Estates)
- The Wildlife Trust for Lancashire, Manchester and North Merseyside (Myplace)
- Yorkshire Wildlife Trust (Tomorrow's Natural Leaders)
- Wiltshire Wildlife Trust (Milestones)