A low-lying island off the Essex coast, listed by the SPNR for its plants and insects. It was purchased by Charles Rothschild privately in 1920. He left the island to the SPNR who eventually sold it to pay for the ongoing management of Woodwalton Fen, another early nature reserve owned by the Society. The island was later purchased by the National Trust and is now managed by the Essex Wildlife Trust.
(Above) the original SPNR survey documents for Ray Island