Ross worm (Credit Peter Tinsley)
A mosaic of habitats home to over 500 recorded species!
This recommended MCZ includes a variety of important habitats off the coast of Anglesey, Wales.
North St George’s Channel recommended MCZ includes a variety of important habitats off the coast of Anglesey, northwest Wales.
The nature of the seabed here has been shaped by glacial and subterranean activity, forming glacial drumlins and carbonate slabs. The latter are formed by methane gas leaking from the seabed.
This site also hosts rocky habitats, mixed sediments, sands and gravels that create a range of habitats for over 500 different species to colonise. Sponges, hydroids, worms, crustaceans, brittle stars, sea urchins and sea squirts are just some of the species that have been recorded in the depths of this site.
Many of the features of this site are in need of recovery and as such they have been identified as important habitats for the UK to protect.
Special features of North St George's Channel:
- Drumlins are found here - an important geological feature which provide critical evidence for the contemporary glacial deposition processes
- Croker Carbonate slabs are formed by methane seeping through the seabed and support rich marine life including and sponges
- Sponges, hydroids, worms, crustaceans, brittle stars, sea urchins and sea squirts are just some of the species that have been recorded in the depths of this site
Protection of North St George's Channel would:
- Safeguard drumlins, a rare feature in the Irish Sea that do not currently receive any protection and which are important for research and education
- Conserve a variety of deep water seabed types which in turn support a wealth of marine diversity.
We need your help to ensure that this site is included in tranche 3.
Become a Friend of Marine Conservation Zones today!
Other nearby MCZs
North St Georges Channel recommended MCZ is located in the map below.
Contains UKHO Law of the Sea data. Crown copyright and database right and contains Ordnance Survey Data Crown copyright and database 2012