Create a roost for bats
There are estimated to be more than 15 million gardens in the UK, covering an area greater than all of the UK’s nature reserves combined! So our gardens and public green spaces are vitally important habitats for wildlife, including bats. By taking small steps to make them more wildlife friendly we can make a big difference.
What you need:
- Untreated rough sawn timber
- Tape measure and pencil
Our gardens and public green spaces are vitally important habitats for wildlife, including bats!
How to build your bat box:
- See our diagram on how to put together your bat box
- A ‘bat ladder’ or other landing area leads to an entry slit wide enough to admit bats, but narrow enough to keep out predators, usually 15 – 20 mm.
- Make sure joints are well sealed and avoid large, loose-fitting front panels – bats hate draughts
- Removable lids should not be used and the box should not be opened
Once up, a bat box cannot be opened legally without a licence. For more information on bats and the law call the Bat Helpline (0345 1300 228).